Thursday, May 12, 2011

{Lucky Eats} Italian Street Eats on 17th: Cibo


I couldn't be more excited for the launch of CIBO (CHEE-BOH- meaning food in Italian) right in the middle of 17th Ave! 1. Because, I am a sucker for any kind of food truck/street meat/festival food there is and Cibo boasts authentic Italian Street Food, And 2. Because I have a sickening obsession with Bonterra Trattoria, owned by the same restaurateurs!  Not sure yet what to expect but, if it truly is Italian street food that they're grillin' and fryin' up...here's a possible preview.

1. Arancini(Ar-Ron-Chi-Nee)- Rice balls coated with breadcrumbs, said to have originated in Sicily in the 10th century. Arancini are usually filled with ragù (meat sauce), tomato sauce, mozzarella, and/or peas. Fried Saucy, cheesy rice? Yep...I'm in!




2. Piadinas- Probably the most popular kid in the street food class! Piadinias are pretty much wraps, but...The best of the beast kind.  the bread is made up of white flour, olive oil and sea salt. Sounds simply but, it's consistencyy and flavor are like a marriage of naan bread and greek pita. YUM! Piadinas are usually sold immediately after preparation and filled with a variety of cheeses, cold cuts and vegetables, but also with sweet fillings such as jam or Nutella. Sounds like a delicious little lunch on the go to me!

3. Zeppole(Zep-Oh-Lee)- Not sure I could list examples without naming something super-duper-sweet! I first tried Zeppole at a Little Italy street fair in Manhattan. De-Lish.  If I had to compare it to something else I would say it's a bit like a bigne in that is is a deep fried ball of dough, usually sprinkled with powdered sugar but, my favorite bite of these little doughnuts is the filling. In NYC I had on filled with honey butter that was TO DIE.  They are also often filled with cannoli cream, jelly or custard. They are so good, they might even trump the cupcake trend.


I guess for now, my street food tooth will have to be satisfied by the looooong list of stampede concoctions but, I will be first in line when Cibo opens it's doors!

No comments:

Post a Comment